The Mitchellville Public Library Board of Trustees is made up of five members and is appointed for three-year terms by the Mayor with the approval of the City Council.
The Board of Directors meets in the Mitchellville Public Library at 6:30 p.m. on the fourth Monday of each month. Board meetings are open to the public.
Name Title Term
Ryan Houska Expires 12-31-2025
Jerry Butler President Expires 12-31-2023
Christie Allred-Brooks Expires 12-31-2025
Chrissy Bower Secretary Expires 12-31-2025
Rhonda Jones VP Expires 12-31-2025
Nick Murrow Mayor
Brad Cowman City Liaison
Public Library Boards in Iowa
Public library boards have five primary roles:
1. Advocate for the library in the community and advocate for the community as a library board member. To be a library advocate is to work to improve library services for the community. Advocacy includes working to obtain adequate funding for the library; pursuing opportunities to meet and speak with community groups; getting to know the mayor and city council; making sure the community’s needs and interests are paramount when making board decisions.
2. Plan for the future of the library. Planning is one of the most important trusts that the community gives to the library board. Planning is deciding what will happen with library services over the next few years. It is taking charge of the library’s future and creating it responsive to the community's needs.
3. Monitor and evaluate the overall effectiveness of the library. The community trusts the library board to ensure the library is operating the way it should. For example, the library board is familiar with the library’s budget - where the money comes from and how it will be spent. The board monitors monthly financial reports and approves the bills to be paid. The board also helps determine whether the community is satisfied with the service received from the library.
4. Set library policies. The library boards spend much of their time on policy issues - developing policies and monitoring the effectiveness of those policies. (Policy is a carefully designed, broadly stated, written guideline for actions and decisions of the library.) Once adopted by the board, library staff carries out the policies daily.
5. Hire and evaluate the library director. The board hires a qualified director to manage the library's day-to-day operations and works with the director, carefully respecting each other’s roles. The committee also regularly evaluates the director to ensure the library operates well and in the best interest of those the library serves.
I. NAME AND PURPOSE:
A. The Mitchellville Public Library Board of Trustees hereafter referred to as the Board.
B. The Board will comply with the Code of Iowa in all questions of library law and governance, and further will comply with the regulations outlined in the City of Mitchellville’s Library Ordinance, Mitchellville Public Library Policy Handbook, the City of Mitchellville Employee Handbook, and the State of Iowa Trustees Handbook.
II. BOARD MEETINGS:
A. The Board shall meet on the last Monday of every month at the Mitchellville City Hall or other designated space, such as the Mitchellville Public Library, as posted on the agenda. Exceptions are: the last Monday falls on a national holiday, board member(s) have conflicting schedules, or a known lack of quorum.
B. A quorum shall consist of (3) Board Members in attendance out of a total of (5) Trustees. Attendance may occur in person or by video/audio conferencing following the Code of Iowa.
C. The Board shall comply with Iowa’s Open Meetings law by printing and publicly posting a copy of its agenda at a minimum of (4) four locations. Acceptable locations include the MPL website, a prominent location at the Library, City Hall, and the Post Office at least 24 hours before the meeting.
D. The Board shall record its proceedings as minutes to be kept electronically, and printed copies of the entire Board of Trustees Meeting Packet for the last (6) six months must be made available in a highly visible area of the Library as well as the MPL website
E. The Director of the Mitchellville Public Library should attend each Library Board Meeting to provide statistical information and library updates to the Board and provide written reports a minimum of 48 hours before the meeting. If the Director cannot attend the meeting, advance notice should be given to the entire Board of Trustees. A staff member may participate in the Director’s absence.
F. The Board will conduct its meetings according to a parliamentary procedure as detailed in the latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order.
III. OFFICERS AND COMMITTEES
A. Officers shall be the Board President, Vice President and Recording Secretary. Elections shall be held at the June meeting.
B. The president shall preside at all meetings and generally perform all duties associated with the office. In the absence of the Board President the Vice President shall assume the President’s duties. The Secretary shall record all proceedings of the Board. Time cards may be signed by any Trustee. The City will provide copies of all time cards to the Trustees along with the City Financials on a monthly basis.
C. Committees shall be formed by a majority of the Board of Trustees or the President. If a member of a committee should decide to abstain from said committee a new member shall be approved by the Board or the Board President.
IV. MAJOR FUNCTIONS
A. Hire and evaluate the Library Director. A yearly evaluation must be done each fiscal year, traditionally in March, to review job performance.
B. Set salaries for the Library’s personnel.
C. Participate in the budget process and secure adequate financial support for the Library’s operations and services.
D. Engage in planning for the Library’s future including maintaining an updated list of current Library inventory and disposition on an annual basis.
E. Ensure the Board of Trustees, Library Director and staff participate in training and continuing education as required by the State of Iowa.
F. Ensure the Library’s involvement in State Library and Library Association initiatives.
A. These Bylaws should be reviewed annually and may be amended at any meeting of the Board by majority vote of the members present.
B. When revisions are made to the Bylaws or a new Trustee is added, the revised bylaws will be signed by all Trustees at the following meeting and kept in a secure location at the Mitchellville Public Library, the Mitchellville City Hall and updated in the MPL Policy Handbook.