Mitchellville Public Library
The Mitchellville Public Library opened its door for the first time on October 21, 1951. It was located on the second floor of the old fire station. By the mid-1950s, a new library was soon needed as the many steps to the second floor kept some older residents from using the facility. A local physician, Dr. David T. Nicoll, said that he would donate money for building a new library if the city would donate the land. In November of 1958, a red brick structure at 204 Center Ave. N became the new home of the library. Measuring only 20' x 20', it was much smaller than the old one but was accessible to all citizens.
By the end of the 1960s, the little library was packed to its limit with books. There was not enough space to hold the children at storytime. In 1976 the library board established a fundraising committee, with the goal to add about 1,000 square feet. The library was housed in an old bookmobile during construction. In 1979, the completed structure opened its doors. Finally, there was plenty of room for children's programs. But by the mid-1990s an old problem reoccurred...the library was out of space again.
In 2004 the City of Mitchellville purchased an empty former grocery store to house a new library. This was located across the street from the old library. A Library Foundation was established with the goal to raise $600,000. Remodeling started in early 2007, with a grand opening of the new library held on September 15, 2007, at 205 Center Avenue North.
Our present library now covers 5,000 square feet with plenty of space for growth. It houses a reading room with fireplace, activity room, a teen corner, children's learning area with learning computer, six public computers and laptops available to use within the library as well.
Besides books, today the library offers audiobooks, DVDs, access to countless online databases, and free Wi-Fi. The library has 11 public access computer stations and has 6 laptops available for in-library-use checkout. We also have several iPads available for in-library-use and 3-day checkout. The staff has grown over the years and is now made up of a full-time library director, a full-time librarian clerk, and one part-time library clerk.